Welcome to the Foundation Stage!
As the Foundation Class teacher, it is my privilege to be working with 14 children (4-5 years old). We refer to the class as the Foundation Class because of the critical skills children learn that lay the foundations for the rest of their lives. There are seven areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
More information about these areas can be found in Development Matters from the British Association for Early Childhood Education. We focus on learning 40-60 months and the Early Learning Goals.
We have already had the pleasure of enjoying a Harvest Festival Assembly at St Mary’s Church, reading with Year 3 and Year 4 pupils, Welly Wednesdays, a special interactive drama performance, and musical mornings with Pantomimus.
The children have been particularly grateful for some new learning opportunities made possible through Friends of Streatley School (FOSS). Role playing and small world play with the new hospital have enriched conversations and helped build new and stronger friendships. Thank you, FOSS!
How you can help your child at home this term:
- Read with your child and enjoy the conversations that emerge from asking questions about rhyming words, alliteration (e.g. The big blue boat bounced by.), and things that might be happening in pictures, including facial expressions.
- Celebrate children’s artwork and any marks they make.
- Look for numbers, shapes, patterns, and simple money problems in the real world to share with your child.
Foundation Class Teacher
Click here to return to Class Overview