Skip to content ↓

Covid advice - What to do if my child is ill.

Should my primary aged child have a Covid-19 test?

If your child has any Covid-19 symptoms, you should book a PCR test.  It must not be a LFD test completed at home.  Click here for the government PCR test booking page.

Your child will not need a PCR test if they do not have symptoms.

Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test

These are tests to be used by anyone with symptoms or anyone without symptoms who has received a positive LFD test result.

These tests should be taken as soon as symptoms start.

These tests can be booked online (see above) or by phoning 119.

Lateral Flow Device (LFD) Test

These tests are to be used by the following groups without symptoms:

  • Adults who work in an educational setting
  • Adults with school aged children
  • Adults who form childcare bubbles with school aged children
  • Secondary school aged young people

These tests should be taken twice weekly.

These test are taken at home.